Saturday, January 22, 2022

My College Guidance Counselor

     Last week, I had a surprise video call from my college guidance counselor who I have not met since college. I was aware he was in the US for work when the university I went to in college closed down due to the union. I was not aware of the datails of his US stint, I thought he migrated with his family. I just learned he was there to work after the university's closure sometime in 1995. He is back to Tacloban for good and I am probably one of the few people he called up via video.
Sir Meynard was my college guidance counselor

     I am deeply touch by the gesture to contact me after all those years, and probably he is right, I am one of the few individuals he can't forget. I can understand what he meant by that. He came to know me right when I started in the university. 

     Barely two or three months in college, he called me to his office to inform me of my being a recipient of the Philippine Merit Scholastic Potential Award, one of the thirteen nationwide, for topping the College Scholastic Aptitude Test(CSAT) which the university used to gauged our entry into the university. It was a notable award being the only one from poor province, coming from a public high school, while the rest were all from private schools in Metro Manila and one from a private school in Bicol. I had to fly to Manila, receive the award.at the Century Park Hotel, after guesting in Good Morning Manila, then Korina Sanches PTV4 show.

     The experience was definitely unforgetteble for me, coming from a poor secondary public school. It is a memory that I won't forget it.

     Thus Sir Meynard, I feel, holds me in high esteem thus he contacted me the moment he is back to Leyte.

No comments: