Monday, June 12, 2023

Language

     I watched the TV announcement of PhiVolcs Director over the looming eruption of Mayon Volcano giving advise and warning to the public, in English. How on earth you are understood by the masses? This is very common of all government officials to speak English when giving out messages to the public. Because the viewing public are not adept in the language, many others try to explain most of those messages with their own spin for their own interest, for their own benefit.
PhiVilcs director on TV

     I remember when I was new in Malaysia, there was not much English on TV, news were delivered in the local language. I didn't understand and that time I didn't appreciate it. I now understand the rationale. They cater to local viewing masses for effective communication. In such a way, they are able to deliver their messages direct to the masses and no one can manipulate the truth. They are more well informed with the correct information not tainted by politics.

No comments: