Monday, August 5, 2024

Canyoyo, Marabut

     During the weekend, I went to Brgy. Canyoyo, Marabut, Samar with friends upon invitation of a friend who owns a private resort along the seaside. Definitely it was a trip I will remember always. We went island hopping in our friend's own-made tri-catamaran. When I was still physically fit, before I had the stroke, I went to many islands in Malaysia and Thailand.My DALAIT friends for life

Some of the islets we visited 

     I am glad that I organized them into a socio-political group during college days, and to me, it seems they have grown to become good individuals in their profession. Imagine, they are now lawyers, court staff, doctors, engineers, and public service employees, yet they have become leaders in their own fields based on the tenets of Authentic Christian Humanism and Active Non-Violence.

The private tri-catamaran of our friend used for island hopping 

     We viewed a cave in one of the islets and swam on the beach to our hearts' delight as it was deserted and there were no other tourists except for the municipal crew collecting the mandatory fee for island use. I was thinking that to be able to visit this island, you must have your own sea transport, unlike in Thailand that they are well organized from the government's tourism board to the private people responsible for the transport and food, making them a must-go for tourists. I am thinking the Philippines has many things to show to the world but the security is a huge stumbling block. You won't know which area has insurgents. 
Entering the cave
In one of  the islets

     It's a pity that the government is not tapping this huge potential. Unfortunately, political leaders are focused on piece meal solutions, no one is looking at long term sustainable help to the people that they will survive even if political leaders are changed.

No comments: