Sunday, January 8, 2023

Why I Stopped Going To Church

    When I was working in Singapore, I went to the church to fulfill my religious obligation, even when I was travelling for business, I tried finding the nearest church to my hotel. In Singapore, I found the church to be an abode for contemplation, for reflection and I felt the presence of God when I went to the church. The good life of the Singaporeans gave me that feeling that indeed God provided them with everything, although it's because of good governance and the elites are not greedy.
The most beautiful church internally in Singapore 

    It's a different story now that I am back to the Philippines, where I grew up to the tenets of Christianity, with my grandmother who was born during the Spanish rule in the country back in 1887. I see an environment totally different of that of Singapore, leading me to question where is God. There is rampant poverty in the countryside. People are so poor, living miserable lives but it seems the people accepted it, a success for the political leaders and elites because that's what they want them to believe. The church leaders, the priests, mostly are tools of the establishment. They don't practice what they preach as they say, and during the election the church clearly sided with the politicians and the elites. That's when I decided not be an instrument in the continuous oppression of the poor.

     Today my sister is going to Tacloban City to attend holy mass at the church, I respectfully rejected her invitation to join them. I cannot stomach celebrating mass in the confines of the church while the moment you step outside, it's poverty among the people. How on earth the elites and their cohorts be worshipping God when they don't do what God expected them to do? People's thinking strengthened by the church is that the elites are blessed while the  wretched poor are punished by God for not being religious or something like that. I can't swallow this fallacy. To me, the church in the Philippines is an instrument of the elite who control politics and economy in the country.
The church is an instrument of the elite in the Philippines 

  


No comments: