Sunday, July 10, 2022

Rybakina Wins Wimbledon Women's 2022

     Elena Rybakina, a Russian, who has migrated to Kazakhstan, is the Wimbledon 2022 Women's Champion, a first time grand slam finalist. When I slept last night she lost the first set to another first timer, Ons Jabeur, but when I woke up this morning to see the result, a new champion is born. She deserves to win anyway as far as I am concerned having beaten Simona Halep, the one I was expecting to win, in the semi-finals.
Rybakina with her prized plate 

     John McEnroe made a statement Russians and Ukrainian have been banned from Wimbledon due to their war but Rybakina was Russian who migrated to Kazakhstan. I am not sure of his intent but it can be both ways. She is Russian who won, why not the others allowed to play or she doesn't deserve to take the  plate being Russian. For me, sports should be out of politics.

No comments: