Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Philippines is 2022 AFF Women's Champion

     I am ecstatic, the country's women's football team is this year's champion of the Asian Football Federation Cup. I didn't know the country has a formidable women's football team. I have always known football is relegated to a lowly sport in the country where basketball is the main event. I am impressed with the women's team style of play and the commitment to win. 
The Philippines beat Thailand 3-0 in this year's final

     I have learned to watch football in Malaysia where the following of the sport is massive. When I saw that this year's championship is in Manila, I followed the entire tournament until today's final of the Philippines versus Thailand. At the sound of the game's end, the celebration of the team was felt not only by the live audience at the stadium but even with people like me watching on TV.Congratulating and hugging each other to celebrate their win

     It is interesting to see the love for football emerging in the Philippines. World Cup, men's world football championship which happens every four years, will take place in November in Qatar and I hope there will be coverage on  TV. Seeing the crowd in today's match is kind of inspiring.The live audience at Rizal Stadium in Manila

     Days later, I saw some of the players being interviewed on local TV for winning, and to my surprise, they all speak with that twang clearly showing they're not homegrown talents. All of them come outside of the country, mostly US, and came back only months before this tournament.

No comments: