Thursday, July 27, 2023

Women's World Cup 2023

     The country is celebrating the win of the Philippine women's football over host New Zealand, 1-0. The Philippines won three days ago but the euphoria is until now, in social media the thrill is overflowing still, and that is their second game in the round robin stage. They lost in the first game against Switzerland. The celebration seems like they won the Women's World Cup. 
Sarina Bolden's goal in the first half gave hope to the Philippine team

     Indeed Bolden deserves the accolade but the goalkeeper, Olivia Davies-MacDaniel, has to be highlighted for her tenacity to stop and prevent New Zealand from scoring. She was instrumental in preventing any goal from the opponent which made them win. The press should emphasize that too.

     I heard of women's football late last year when I saw the Philippine team winning the finals of the Asia Football Federation Cup. I searched about the team which I have not heard of before, only to find out that all but one were born outside of the Philippines, mostly in the US. They are all speaking with the American twang when interviewed on TV. Thus after that I didn't follow their succeeding games until this World Cup. When they lost thelr first match, I lost track of them and I thought it was game over for them. Until this World Cup.

     Anyway, they may not be homegrown talents but I hope they really stay and play for the country for love of the country and the game. A friend highlighted to me that France men's football team which won the World Cup last year, has a team majority of which are migrants from Africa. I guess he is right. Thus there is hope for this women's football team. I do hope they succeed into the next round and forward. They have to win their next match against Norway in order to continue the fight.
Their first win made them sensation of the press

No comments: