Friday, October 7, 2022

The Hague

    While Amsterdam is officially the capital of Netherlands, The Hague is the de facto capital, or the administrative capital. Here they also house the UN's International Court of Justice(ICJ). In one of my meetings in 2018 when I was working, my former company was based in Netherlands, I visited The Hague with a colleague from China, Steven Mao, last time our  Regional Technical Manager while I was the Regional Marketing Manager.Breakfast with Stephen at a cafe in The Hague

     I happened to be in The Hague when the Philippines was at the height fighting diplomatically with China at the ICJ over control in South China Sea, and remains unresolved up to today. It is an issue which is highly political. It's not just about who owns these islands but who controls the sea for power. The US definitely will not give up as this sea is commercially strategic thus the world's super powers are fighting control over it, and the Philippines is caught in between.
Arriving at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam 
 
     From Schipol Airport, we took the train to The Hague since our meeting would only be the day after. Unfortunately it was a Sunday, so most of the offices were closed so I joked the ICJ couldn't entertain our dialogue with my Chinese colleague.

Around The Hague 

    We explored the whole city since our meeting starts only the next day. It was a pleasure walking around in their climate which was cool and not humid. I do miss my old job and those meetings, totally detached from realities of the Philippine poor society.

No comments: